Beginners - Movie Preview

Hi Huneybees,



I was recently invited to watch the "Beginners" movie starring Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer, Melanie Laurent, Goran Visnjic and a dog named Cosmo. A special thanks to Ruiting for inviting me to the preview because this is the first time I stepped into the Shaw Preview Theatre and not the usual cinema on level 6.

My look for the day.
Cool right? I think this is like the theatre for the big bosses to preview movies before deciding to screen them in their cinemas...
Small capacity for just the limited few.

That's Ruiting.
Credits to Ruiting.
A little synopsis before I give my review...

When it comes to relationships, we’re all beginners.
From writer/director Mike Mills comes Beginners, a comedy/drama about how deeply funny and transformative life can be, even at its most serious moments.
Beginners imaginatively explores the hilarity, confusion, and surprises of love through the evolving consciousness of Oliver (Golden Globe Award nominee Ewan McGregor). Oliver meets the irreverent and unpredictable Anna (Mélanie Laurent of Inglourious Basterds) only months after his father Hal Fields (Academy Award nominee Christopher Plummer) has passed away.
This new love floods Oliver with memories of his father, who, following the death of his wife of 45 years, came out of the closet at age 75 to live a full, energized, and wonderfully tumultuous gay life – which included a younger boyfriend, Andy (Goran Visnjic of ER). The upheavals of Hal’s new honesty, by turns funny and moving, brought father and son closer than they’d ever been able to be. Now Oliver endeavors to love Anna with all the bravery, humor, and hope that his father taught him.
At once deeply personal and universal, Beginners was inspired by Mike Mills’ own father and is meant in turn to inspire everyone weighing their chances and choices in life and love.

REVIEW: 

The movie revolves around the topic of "LOVE". Alot might tell me they dun like to watch art films, coz they can't understand what's it all about, but I must say this movie has it's equal parts of comedy, romance, and tear jerking moments.

The writer/director Mike Mills (a graphic designer turned filmmaker), based this movie as a memory of a straight son, Oliver (Ewan McGregor) and his dying gay father, Hal (Christopher Plummer) and also his search for a love. The movie began when Hal was already dead, but Hal doesn't just live in his son's memory, he greatly affects Oliver's feelings and how he expresses his love to Annie, Melanie Laurent.

I loved how the movie was filmed with a glow around the characters, making it all so beautiful to watch, almost like those scenes that you would imagine "heaven". And also the occasional images of objects, illustrations and photographs to follow what Oliver was narrating instead of the boring scene of him sitting there talking.


One might find the movie pretty confusing as it jumps from past to present very often, but I find it's the director's interpretation of Oliver's messy life, messy memory as he is one who thinks alot before his every step. Everything ties up nicely with Oliver's soft soothing voice (maybe I am bias? As I love Ewan McGregor...) and the cute doggy, Cosmo, who was wonderful in acting and expression. 


The movie left me thinking lots and lots when I got home, I love this kind of movie instead of those that you watch and forget about it in the next few hours or days. In fact, it inspired me to get my pen and paper out to draw. I guess the character Oliver's, work as an artist inspired me deeply?


________________________________________________________________


A note on the side. I bought Garrett popcorn on the way home and was enjoying it as hubby was not around. I had something to fill my emptiness... :)




You guys can check out more about the movie at http://focusfeatures.com/beginners or watch the trailer here:




Muahz,
Christina aka Huney